According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), more than half of American adults suffer from gum disease. If left untreated, gum disease can cause serious complications such as tooth loss and increased risk of heart disease. Dr. Giscombe and Associates are located in Blue Ridge Dental Care in Raleigh, NC. Dr. Ajamu Giscombe understands how important it is to treat gum disease as soon as possible and is ready to help you find treatment.
Signs of Gum Disease
Here are the signs and symptoms of gum disease that your Raleigh, NC, dentist finds in patients with gum disease:
- Chronic halitosis: bad breath that returns and persists even though your brush and floss regularly and use mouthwash.
- Inflamed gums: gums that are bright red, tender or swollen.
- Bleeding gums: gums that bleed regularly when you eat, brush or floss.
- Painful chewing: pain in the gums or teeth when you chew.
- Loose teeth: if your teeth are loose or have moved.
- Receding gum line: if your gum line has moved back and exposed a tooth’s root.
Who is at Risk of Gum Disease?
Although the main cause of gum disease is the build-up of tartar, there are other risk factors including:
- Age: People over the age of 65 are at a much higher risk of gum disease.
- Tobacco use: Smoking is a significant factor in the progression of gum disease.
- Stress: Stress makes it difficult for your body to fight off infection and can worsen gum disease.
- Genetics: You may have inherited your propensity for gum disease from one of your parents.
- Medications: Some medications such as antidepressants, antibiotics, oral contraceptives, and some heart medications increase your chances of gum disease.
- Tooth grinding: Clenching or grinding your teeth increases the progress of gum disease by placing excess force on the gums.
- Obesity: Extreme overweight and poor nutrition lead to gum disease.
If you’re looking for a Raleigh, NC, dentist, contact Dr. Giscombe and Associates on (919) 781-3862 today. Dr. Giscombe and his team can help you will all your dental needs.